Keeping Pests Out Of Your Home: 10 Pest Control Tips From Sawyer Pest Management, London, Ontario
There's quite a few pests out there, and they have tendencies to merely annoy us or potentially cause serious damage to your house and your health. We've come up with some tips to help you keep the pesky bugs out of your home. You're probably familiar with a few nuisance bugs such as roaches, ants, spiders, crickets, and mice. Better seen in the fields or forest than your home! Please read below the 10 tips we have come up with to help prevention:
Pest Control Prevention Tips
- It is important to make sure the floors are always clean: mop up any spills right away with cleaning solution. It is recommended to clean the house hold flooring at least once per week and the kitchen a couple times per week.
- Keep the trash outside in a bin, and make sure it gets picked up by the garbage truck regularly. It is best to not leave any trash in your home overnight. This means all of them in the bathrooms, bedrooms, and the kitchen.
- Avoid leaving fruit out on the counter, it is best to keep it refrigerated even when it's ripe.
- Make sure the sink is emptied every night, with no dishes left behind. If you can't get to them, fill it with soap and water for the evening.
- Any food that is left out, make sure it is tightly sealed in appropriate containers. Cereal or seeds, grains and bread, keep them sealed either in bags or containers with a locking seal.
- Clean up any leaks in the house or fix dripping water faucets. It is important to keep the house dry and clean up any spills, even splashes of water.
- If you have pets, they need a bath at least once per week. Keep up to date on their flea treatments and make sure the hair brush is clean.
- Remove any cracks or open spaces in your homes structure; seal up any cracks on baseboards, cabinets, pipes, ducts, and fittings inside the home. Check outside and caulk all door frames, window frames, roof joints and any visible cracks on the exterior surface.
- The outside of the home should be kept as tidy as possible, by making sure any wood piles or leaves are not just laying around in the yard. Trim your plants down to make sure critters can't crawl up into your home. The gutters can harbour insects, and it's a good idea to keep those cleaned out.
- Pay close attention to what you bring into the home the best you can. Many unknowingly bring in insects or insect eggs when buying fruits and vegetables. Boxes or bags used to bring home these items can also harbor pests or eggs. Once they get through the front door of your home, they can multiply and cause infestations. Roaches are especially prone to be brought in this way.
These tips are meant to be a great starting point and not guaranteed to keep out all pests. If you are having problems even after following these tips, then you may want to seek the help of a professional.
If you need professional help with pests in your home call us today for a free estimate 519-661-6886.